Thursday, June 5, 2008

summer time





Last day of school! The year went by way to fast. It is time for the "Summer Job Chart". I am going to update last years chart, it worked well for my boys (and it cost about $20 to laminate). . They liked the structure (which is something we need more of), and my boys liked knowing exactly what was expected of them before friends and television! I let them set their own goal. We also matched the money they put into savings for college and missions. Marrilee Browne Boyack wrote Parenting Breakthrough, I love this book! I got most of my ideas from her, and my sister in law. Marrilee has great ideas on teaching your children about money and how to be successful adults. I also picked great scripture stories from the Gospel Art Kit, I would teach them to the boys and hang them up around the chart. I think I taught my boys more last summer than they did this whole year. I love the change of seasons, it is such a great time to reflect on what you want to accomplish, and the best way to do it. Here is to a clean slate and a great summer!

9 comments:

Kristin said...

I soo need a chart like that - for me, not Piper!

Kristin said...

So after zooming in on the picture, I am LOVING that Josh wanted to learn to make french toast, and save $25.60, not just $25.00, Jarom's big goal last summer was to learn to wave hello - too cute!

Backmans said...

Hey Maren, it's Whitney Backman from the old 'hood (Crandall Ave). I LOVE your summer charts!! I have been wanting to start something like that for my girls (well..Halle anyway). I'm going to lose my mind if we don't get some structure soon. I think I'll start by purchasing that book. Hope all is well

go boo boo said...

I need a chart like that too. You are awesome. By the way I totally have a scheduled Tuesday morning babysitter. And have you seen Mrs. Dub's challenge? I am thinking about it.

Reid and Christine Family said...

Wow, I'm seriously impressed.

Amy said...

Are you trying to steal my goal at becomming Utah's Martha Stewart? You rule at momhood! I am so glad you are here to show me the way!

erica said...

Hey Maren...This whole job chart seems like the perfect craft at Aspen Grove! Ha! I am so excited to see you guys. Only 12 days. Crazy!

joslyn said...

awesome!! love the chart. i think i need to get my butt in gear for summer. we need some structure.

Carrie said...

Wow Maren, sometimes I wish I had kids so I could implement all of your cool ideas. I sent Carie Ann a link to your blog so maybe she can steal some ideas.

Miss you!!!

Carrie